6.19.2010

June Brat

Lately, I've been looking at old photographs sometimes wishing that I can turn the hands of time. Although they say that nothing is impossible, I know that this case is an exception. I can never return to yesterday. All I can do is remember.

I remember back then when I used to play with my brother. We played house together with my two older sisters. Us, holding three Barbies and him, holding his toy Batman. His toy Batman had long been crippled same with his other miniature superhero toys. I remember when we used to fight about candies, chocolates and taking turns riding the bike. Talk about the previous episodes of Power Rangers, Ghost Fighter, Dragonball Z and end up arguing. Laugh together when we see someone step over a pile of dog's poop. Those were my childhood  days with my brother.

I took another photoalbum and crap, another set of my brother's photos. I scanned every page of that album and watched my brother grow. From an inch hair to a mass of nest-like locks. From clean cut to a week-old beard. From smooth to acne-covered face. From a 12' school ruler to a towering 5'8 pinnacle. Geez! How fast that was. We can never really tell until it slaps us in the face. As I close the photoalbum. I heard him shout, calling my name. My brother never calls me Ate or Ditse, it doesn't really matter. I'm already used to it. I watch him come close and realized a lot of things.

Growing up as an only boy and the youngest have it's privileges and disappointments. Privileges on his part because he gets everything what he wants. He grew up as a spoiled brat! If that's privileges, I'm already having second thoughts. Disappointments on my parent's behalf or probably the consequences of their actions? I can never tell for parents want what's best for their children. Before, my brother used to listen to us regarding unimportant small things but now I wonder, why is it so hard for him to lend an ear for bigger things that really matter?  Education, future plans, all seemed to be meaningless to him. Must be too big then huh?

I hope one day my brother will realize that everything changes. He can always be a spoiled brat whenever he likes to but nobody's always there to spoil him. I wish him happiness, success and most of all a clear mind to think things through as he celebrate another year of his life.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

0 comments:

Post a Comment